Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Favorite, "Jeffry R. Holland".



Ok, so the main hall for all the MTC Firesides and Devotionals was just completed for this week. And so my district got to sit inside for the first time and view meeting live. In fact, my companion and I made our way to being in the 7th row from the podium. And guess who the speaker was... (drum roll please)... None other than "the" Jeffery R. Holland! I couldn't believe it. Out of all 12 apostils, I got to see and hear my favorite one! It was probably easily one of the coolest nights of my life, and definitely an unforgettable experience of my mission. It was simply just the coolest thing, that I can't even really explain how excited I seriously am to even be sharing this. His talk was brilliant, and filled with council that just went straight through me. Which I'm so grateful for. Because if there’s anybody who's authorized to send a nice "wake up call" its him. Anyone’s who's listened to a few of his talks knows what I mean. He was full of love and the spirit, and I knew without a doubt who I was listening to. Funny enough, probably one of the coolest parts was when he left, and we watched him exit the stage after the meeting, and leave through the doorway, it was like as if someone had just pulled a blanket off of me, and I realized even better, that I was truly just spoken to by someone with the True Authority that only the Lord delegates who receives it. I will never forget the way I felt that night, and the things he spoke of and taught. Both for missionary work, and for our lives in the gospel.
So that’s easily the most exciting that’s happened this past week, more like the whole 6 weeks I've been here. Not a whole lot of anything else has happened. I'm still struggling a bit with Spanish, but I've had a couple experiences where I ended up with a chance to talk to native Spanish speakers, one from California and the other from Guatemala. In each case I shortly realized after that I had carried on about a 10 min conversation with them, and they each reassured me and told me they were impressed with what I did know for only 6 weeks. It was very comforting and allowed the chance for my confidence to raise. I'm still no where near "good" but I appreciate the tender mercies of the Lord, and how he provided a way for me to have a positive self reflection.
After everyday I grow more and more excited to be going to Argentina. Part of me wishes time would grow wings and magically zip by. Of course I'm equally reminded of how much more I'm in need of preparing, and that encourages me to stay focused and to work hard and continually "learn" to work even harder. Simply so that I can be as prepared as I can. One of the best blessings that came from hearing Elder Holland speak was that it helped to realize how little I know. Which I'm extremely grateful for because I've been trying hard to learn humility. Always remember that it is through humility that the Lord is able to teach us things. Especially the things we want most for ourselves.
Thank you to everyone who has sent me letters, messages, and packages. I love you all, and look forward to hearing more.
Love,
- Elder Treadway

No comments: