Friday, November 5, 2010

Being prepared

Hey everybody!
Well, it is definitely allergy season, and its hot, like in our pench especially at night, and the mosquitoes have been arriving. Then the other morning we discovered and outbreak of ¨magnets¨ in our pench. It was really gross, haha. Good thing I came prepared and my background is in ¨Pest Control¨ haha. This week seemed to be more busy than most. And a couple funny things happened. One, the bishop of our ward has a sign design shop (which is also his families house, like most of all businesses and stores here). While we were at their home for lunch he wanted to take a picture of my companion and I. I didn´t quite catch exactly what it was for but didn´t think much of it. Until yesterday while at church he called us into his office and showed us a paper weight/sticky note box with our picture printed on the side with some scriptural quotes around the rest of it. And then he tells us that he made and sent one to every bishop in the stake, the stake president, AND our area president; President Arnold of the Seventy. So as of right now a general authority may or may not have a picture of me on his desk.
Another thing, in front of our apartment we live in is a town plaza, and the last couple of week’s there’s a group of teenage boys that hang out there at night that we´ve befriended. (you know your friends when they are ¨sincerely¨ offering to share their marijuana with you. It was funny when that happened because I thought the were just being funny cuz they know were missionaries but then I realized they were being serious but only because the like to talk to us and were trying to be friendly) anyways. We´ve spoken with them a few times and every time they always have more or different questions so we told them to come to church which they got excited about and said they would. But yesterday morning they didn´t show up (which I was kind of expecting) but on the walk home we ran into one of them and asked him where they were. Come to find out, as he explained to us. They were really planning on coming, but the night before they all got caught drinking their beer out in the street and were taken to jail and were just let out yesterday morning. We thought it was funny and told him that’s one of the reasons he shouldn´t drink any more, he said he was thinking the same thing, then told us how he and his friends want to have an Asado with us. When it really comes down to it, this group of 5 young men really are good guys and don´t have any bad intentions for anything. I can only imagine the impact the gospel would have on their lives which every time we talk to them, they´re more and more interested in asking us serious life questions which you can tell they just simply have never had the influence of good or bad in their lives before. So we´ll see how things go with them. This morning my comp and I were invited to speak to a high school class by an hermana in our ward who´s a teacher. So we went and spoke for about an hour and a half to about 55 students. We told who we are, explained some things about the states and then spent the time answering questions. I´ve really come a long way with speaking. I apparently have the opposite problem of most everyone else, I can speak really well for the short time I have, but I can´t understand worth a dime. But it was still cool think I was able to carry myself through our little presentation and explain everything I wanted to a crowd, and I still found a way to tell a joke or two and got them to laugh. I felt like my old self, lol.
Other than that not a whole lot else is different. I have my first legit mud hut experience while we were helping some other missionaries of our zone about 45 min away from where we are. Oh yeah, we finally had my First Baptism! Last Saturday night we had a baptism for a 9 year old girl of an inactive family who’s been becoming reactive. We´ve been teaching her and were waiting for her dad to get cleared through the bishop to do the ordinance. It all worked out great and we´ve built a good relationship with the family. Its been awesome to see the changes that have been occurring in their lives as they´ve been becoming reactive. The dad is a great guy and is always ready to share his testimony of how he knows for certain of the blessings he and his family have been receiving as they started coming back to church. (blessings like, getting work cuz he was jobless for the longest time, and his families unity, because not to long ago, they were seriously considering divorce before. But now, they´ve done a complete 180, its been great.)
I hope everything is going well for everyone else, thank you for your thoughts and prayers, I love you all.
Elder Treadway

No comments: