Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Week 1 the real deal....



Hey Everyone!
Well, yes, I made it. And this place is crazy! I can’t understand a word anyone is saying, all of the sidewalks are made of the tile you see in Mexican restaurants, everyday we’ve had pasta for lunch with members, my companion walks about a thousand times faster than me so my legs are killing me, the buses all race each other and don’t always stop for you to get on OR off, the taxi drivers make it their goal to get you wherever you’re going as fast as they can and without stopping, my comp made me go out in the middle of a bus station and start practice talking to people by myself, the milk comes in bags, and I’m pretty sure some Catholic woman tried to put a curse on us.... I’m loving every minute of it! Haha
So yes, things are definitely different, and it seemed very strange for the first few days, but by tonight at the end of my first P-day, I feel much more used to everything. Apart from just being tired, its been a great first five days. I’ve been struggling with the language of course but not near as bad as I thought I’d be, I can basically say everything I need to which has allowed me to participate in teaching lessons, and I’m not nervous at all to approach people now, even though I really can’t ever understand more than a few words they speak back. The buses dont stop most of the time and their pretty fun, you just get on and hold on and just watch as they fly through the streets relying on everyone to get out of their way including when they pass other vehicles going their way, they most funny part is when their stopped at a red light with another one because the drivers just think they’re there to race each other, lol.
I can still receive letters through dear elder, but I only receive them about every 2 weeks. That’s still better than snail mail though. Thanks everyone! I love you all.

No comments: